I am a Professor in the Zachry Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, TAMU. I obtained my first degree in Civil Engineering from the Universidad Nacional de San Juan (Argentina). My Master and Ph.D. (2004) degrees are from the Universidad Politecnica de Catalunya (UPC, Barcelona, Spain). My main expertise lies in the area of advanced geomechanics, considering complex problems involving thermal, hydraulic, mechanical and geo-chemical (THMG) couplings. My research interests also cover the study of the behavior of unsaturated soils and expansive clays. The main areas of applications are: ‘Energy Geotechnics’, ‘Geo-environmental Engineering’, and ‘Transportation Geotechnics’. I am acting as an Associated Editor for six international journals. Among other awards, in 2012 I received, along with my co-authors, the “George Stephenson Medal” from the Institution of Civil Engineers in the United Kingdom. I am the founder and current Chairman of the ISSMGE (Int. Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Eng.) Technical Committee TC308 on “Energy Geotechnics”, which has won the ‘Outstanding Technical Committee Award’ of the ISSMGE for the period 2013-2017
- 2004. PhD Doctor Ingeniero de Caminos, Canales y Puertos. (Equivalent to a PhD in Civil Engineering). Universidad Politecnica de Catalunya (UPC). Barcelona, Spain. Thesis: “Coupled Thermo-Hydro-Mechanical analysis in low permeability media”. Grade: excellent cum laude
- 1996. Master in Numerical Methods in Engineering. (Equivalent to a MSc in Numerical Methods). Universidad Politecnica de Catalunya (UPC), CIMNE, Spain. Grade: excellent.
- 1991. Specialization in Highway Engineering. Universidad Nacional de San Juan (UNSJ). San Juan, Argentina (one year course).
- 1990. Undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering. Universidad Nacional de San Juan (UNSJ). San Juan, Argentina.
- Sept 2017 to present. Texas A& M University (TAMU). Position: Full Professor.
- Sept 2009 to Aug 2017. Texas A& M University (TAMU). Department of Civil Engineering, College Station, Texas, US. Position: Associate Professor (tenured position since 2015).
- Apr 2008 to Aug 2009. University of Strathclyde (USTRAT). Department of Civil Engineering, Glasgow, UK. Position: Senior Lecturer (equivalent to Associate Professor) in Civil Engineering.
- May 2005 to Mar 2008. University of Strathclyde (USTRAT). Department of Civil Engineering, Glasgow, UK. Position: Lecturer (equivalent to Assistant Professor) in Civil Engineering.
- Jan 1998 to Apr 2005. Universidad Politecnica de Catalunya (UPC). Department of Geotechnical. Engineering. Barcelona, Spain. Position: Researcher.
- Jan 1991 to Dec 1998. Universidad Nacional de San Juan (UNSJ). Department of Geotechnical Engineering. San Juan, Argentina. Position: Lecturer.