Assistant Department Head for Graduate Programs
College Station, TX 77843
Phone: (979) 845-9902
Fax: (979) 845-6481
B.S., Civil Engineering, Southeast University of China, 1984
M.S., Highway and Traffic Engineering, Southeast University of China, 1987
Ph.D., Transportation Engineering, Virginia Tech, 1996
Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Texas A&M University: 2016-present
Associate Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Texas A&M University: 2010-2016
Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Texas A&M University: 2004-2010
Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Mississippi State University: 2000-2004
Senior Transportation Engineer, ITT Industries, Systems Division, 1996-2000
Research Associate, Center for Transportation Research, Virginia Tech, 1996
CVEN 307 Transportation Engineering
CVEN 457 Urban Traffic Facilities
CVEN 617 Transportation Engineering: Characteristics
CVEN 618 Transportation Engineering: Operations
Traffic Operations, Transportation Modeling and Simulation, Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), Computer Applications in Transportation.
1. Lv, J.*, Lord D., Zhang Y., and Chen Z., “Peltzman Effects in Adopting Mandatory Seat Belt Laws in the US: Evidence from Non-occupant Fatalities,” accepted for publication in Transport Policy. (DOI:10.1016/j.tranpol.2015.06.012).
2. Zeng X.*, Sun X., Zhang Y., and Quadrifoglio L, 2015, “Person-based Adaptive Priority Signal Control with Connected-vehicle Information,” Transportation Research Record, No. 2487, pp. 78-87.
3. Zou Y.* and Zhang Y., “A copula-based approach to accommodate the dependence among microscopic traffic variables,” conditionally accepted for publication subject to minor modification in Transportation Research Part C. (DOI:10.1016/j.trc.2015.11.003).
4. Tiaprasert, K*, Zhang, Y., Wang, X., and Zeng, X., “Queue Length Estimation Using Connected Vehicle Technology for Adaptive Signal Control,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol. 16(4), pp. 2129-2140.
5. Zhao, X., Wu, Y., Rong, J., and Zhang, Y., “Development of a driving simulator based eco-driving support system,” published online in Transportation Research Part C (DOI: 10.1016/j.trc.2015.03.030).
6. Zhang N., Zhang Y., and Zhang X., 2015, “Pedestrian Choices of Vertical Walking Facilities inside Urban Rail Transit Stations,” KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, Vol. 19, No. 3.
7. Du H., Zhao X., Zhang X., Zhang Y., and Rong J., 2015, “Effects of Fatigue on Driving Performance under Different Roadway Geometries: A Simulator Study,” Traffic Injury Prevention, Vol. 16(5), pp. 468-73.
8. Chen Z.*, Zhang Y., Lv J.*, and Zou Y.*, 2014, “Model for Optimization of Ecodriving at Signalized Intersection,” Transportation Research Record, No. 2427, pp. 54-62.
9. Zeng X.*, Zhang Y., Balke K., and Yin K., 2014, “A Real-Time Transit Signal Priority Control Model Considering Stochastic Bus Arrival Time,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, VOL. 15, NO. 4, pp. 1657-1666.
10. Zhang Y.*, Zhang Y., and Haghani A., 2014, “A hybrid short-term traffic flow forecasting method based on spectral analysis and statistical volatility model,” Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, Vol. 43, Part 1, June 2014, pp. 65–78
11. Zou, Y.*, Zhang, Y., and Zhu, X., 2014, “Constructing a bivariate distribution for freeway speed and headway data,” Transportmetrica A: Transport Science, 10(3), pp. 255-272.
12. Zou, Y.*, Zhang, Y., and Lord, D., 2014, “Analyzing different functional forms of the varying weight parameter for finite mixture of negative binomial regression models,” Analytic Methods in Accident Research, 1, pp. 39-52.
13. Zou, Y.*, Zhu, X., Zhang, Y., and Zeng, X.*, 2014, “A space-time diurnal method for short-term freeway travel time prediction,” Transportation Research Part C, 43(1), pp. 33-49.
14. Zou, Y., Lord, D., Zhang, Y., and Peng, Y., 2014, “Application of the Bayesian model averaging in predicting motor vehicle crashes,” Journal of transportation and statistics, 10(1), pp. 49-60.
15. Zou Y.*, Lord D., Zhang Y., and Peng Y., 2013, “Comparison of Sichel and Negative Binomial Models in Estimating Empirical Bayes Estimates,” Transportation Research Record, No. 2392, pp. 11-21.
16. Zou, Y.*, Zhang, Y., and Lord, D., 2013, “Application of finite mixture of negative binomial regression models with varying weight parameters for vehicle crash data analysis,” Accident Analysis & Prevention, Vol. 50, pp.1042-1051.
17. Ge H.*, Zhang Y., Miles J., and Carlson P., 2013, “Assessment of Background Complexity of Overhead Guide Signs from Nighttime Digital Images of Roadway Scenes by Image Processing,” Transportation Research Record, Transportation Research Record, No. 2384, pp. 74-84.
18. Zeng X.*, Zhang Y., and Praprut S., 2013, “Probability Model for Understanding Effect of Detector Delay on Right-Turn-on-Red Traffic,” Transportation Research Record, No. 2355, pp. 73-82.
19. Yin K., Wang B., and Zhang Y., 2013, “Vehicle-to-vehicle connectivity on two parallel roadways with a general headway distribution,” Transportation Research Part C, 29, pp. 84-96.
20. Zhang Y. and Ge H.*, 2013, “Freeway Travel Time Prediction Using Takagi-Sugeno-Kang Fuzzy Neural Network,” Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, Vol. 28, Issue 8, pp. 594-603.
21. Kota, Sri, Ying, Qi. And Zhang, Y., 2013, “Simulating near-road reactive dispersion of gaseous air pollutants using a three-dimensional Eulerian model,” Science of the Total Environment, Vol. 454, pp. 348-357.
22. Ye Z.*, Zhang Y., Lord D., 2013, “Goodness-of-fit testing for accident models with low means,” Accident Analysis & Prevention, Vol. 61, pp. 78-86.
23. Zhang Y., Lv J.*, and Wang W., 2013, “Evaluation of vehicle acceleration models for emission estimation at an intersection,” Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, Vol. 18, pp. 46-50.
24. Zeng X.* and Zhang Y., 2013, “Development of Recurrent Neural Network Considering Temporal-Spatial Input Dynamics for Freeway Travel Time Modeling,” Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, Vol. 28, Issue 5, pp. 359-371.
25. Lv j.*, Zhang Y., and Zietsman J. 2012, “Investigating Emission Reduction Benefit from Intersection Signal Optimization,” Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol. 17, Issue 3, pp. 200-209.
26. Lv, J.*, Zhang, Y., and Zietsman, J., 2012, “A Convex Approach to the Traffic Assignment Problem under Air Quality Constraints for Planning Purposes,” Advances in Transportation Studies –An International Journal, Issue 29, pp. 85-96.
27. Fitzpatrick K., Brewer M., Eisele W., Zhang Y., Gluck J., Levinson H., and Iragavarapu V., 2012, “Development of Left-Turn Lane Warrants for Unsignalized Intersections,” Transportation Research Record, No. 2301, pp. 55-65.
28. Wang X., Yin K., and Zhang Y., 2012, “An Exact Markov Process for Multihop Connectivity via Intervehicle Communication on Parallel Roads,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications 11(3), pp. 865-868.
29. Zhang Y., Xie Y.*, and Li L.*, 2012, “Crash Frequency Analysis of Different Types of Urban Roadway Segments Using Generalized Additive Model,” Journal of Safety Research, Vol. 43, Issue 2, pp. 107-114.
30. Zhang Y. and Ge H.*, 2012, “Assessing Presence Conditions of Pavement Markings Using Image Processing ,” Transportation Research Record, No. 2272,, pp. 94-102
31. Devarasetty P, Zhang Y., and Fitzpatrick K., 2012, Differentiating between Left-Turn Gap versus Lag Acceptance at Unsignalized Intersections as a Function of the Site Characteristics, Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 138, Issue 5, pp. 580-588.
32. Guo Y., Yu Q., Zhang Y., and Rong J., 2012, “The Effect of Bicycles on the Saturation Flow Rate of Turning Vehicles at Signalized Intersections,” Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 138, Issue 1, pp. 21-30.
33. Lv J.* and Zhang Y., 2012, “Effect of signal coordination on traffic emission, publication in Transportation Research Part D,” Vol. 17, Issue 2, pp.149-153.
34. Zou Y.* and Zhang Y., 2011, “Use of Skew-Normal and Skew-T Distributions for Mixture Modeling of Freeway Speed Data,” Transportation Research Record, No.2260, pp. 67-75.
35. Kai Y., Zhang Y., and Wang X., 2011, “Modeling Delay for Signalized Intersections with Short Left-Turn Bay during Heavy Traffic,” Transportation Research Record, No. 2257, pp. 103-110.
36. Zhang Y., Pike A., Ge H.*, and Carlson P., 2011, “Comparison of different designs of field test decks for pavement marking materials,” Transportation Research Record, No. 2258, pp. 95-102.
37. Eisele W., Zhang Y., Park E., Zhang Y.*, and Stensrud R., 2011, “Development and Application of Arterial Corridor Travel Time Index Estimation Models for Transportation Planning in Small to Medium-sized Communities,” Transportation Research Record, No. 2244, pp. 81-90.
38. Wan F.* and Zhang Y., 2011, “Analysis of Platoon Impacts on Left-Turn Delay at Unsignalized Intersections,” Transportation Research Record, No. 2223, pp. 80-87.
39. Zhang N, Zhang Y., and Lu H., 2011, “Short-term Freeway Traffic Flow Prediction Combining Seasonal Autoregressive Integrated Moving Average and Support Vector Machines,” Transportation Research Record, No. 2215, pp. 85-92.
40. Cheng J., Du X., Shi J., Zhang Y., and Li F., 2011, “Optimization of superelevation runoff model for cycling tracks,” Journal of Central South University Press, Vol, 18, pp. 587-592.
41. Li X.*, Lord D., and Zhang Y., 2011, “Development of Accident Modification Factors for Rural Frontage Road Segments in Texas Using Generalized Additive Models,” Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol.137, No.1, pp. 74-83.